Thursday, November 25, 2010

g15macro on Ubuntu 10.04.1

I have this fancy G15 keyboard from logitech, which (theoretically) should allow me to record macros bound to the extra G keys. What's supposed to happen is that you install the g15macro package (and some dependencies), set g15macro as a Startup Application. Then you can hit the MR (macro record?) key, type a macro, hit a G key and viola! your macro is bound to a G key. For an LDAP dude like me, this could save me typing 'ou=People,dc=example,dc=com,dc=au' a few times a day. Sounds like it's full of win!

Of course, things are rarely that easy. I simply never could get it to work. Once I tried running it form the terminal, I could see that after its first run (once it had written out ~/.g15macro/g15macro.conf) it would segfault as soon as it was run. Bugger!

Soon enough, googling around found me plenty of links showing that the answer was to modify g15macro.c, comment out a line that was causing the crash, and hey pesto!

Being a moderately experienced Linux user, I tried to install the g15macro-dev package... nope, not found in the Ubuntu repos. OK, download source, uninstall the packaged g15macro, compile and install new version. Along the way i hit a few dependencies for the compilation:

sudo apt-get remove g15macro
sudo apt-get install libg15daemon-client-dev libg15-dev libg15render-dev
sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev libxtst-dev
cd Downloads/g15macro-1.0.3/
./configure 
make check
sudo make install


Easy as pi, though compiling software from tarballs rather than using apt-get makes me feel like I've travelled back in time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. Thanks for your blog entry. Helped me get g15macro installed on my Debian 9 (strech) GNU/Linux system. In addition to commenting out the g15r_initCanvas() call I had to pass -pthread to GCC. I wrote a script which documents my adventure: https://svn.jj5.net/jjrepo/jj5-bin/branches/0.2/bin/install-g15macro.sh

    ReplyDelete